RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The mission of the research and development section is to coordinate, develop and disseminate our grant, research, and planning and evaluation data for the Lowell Police Department. Our mission is to chronicle ongoing progress, develop and support information, strategies, and other tools to further the LPD as a learning organization.
Since 1993, the Lowell Police Department (LPD) has received over $12.4 million dollars in state (Executive Office of Public Safety) and federal (U.S. Department of Justice) grants. These grants have been used to:
- Hire police officers & civilians
- Purchase communication and computer equipment
- Establish the Cross Border Initiative, a multi-jurisdictional task force based in Lowell
- Establish the School Resource Officer Initiative
- Support evaluation of the Safety First Initiative
- Increase training and establish the LPD Training Institute
- Purchase portable radios for every police officer, mobile data terminals, and booking window equipment
- Organize prevention programs
- Increase the overall resources available to all members of the LPD.